3.26.2011

Easy and cheap festive decor

 I’m going to show you how to make simple balloon clusters.

make your own balloon clusters at JunkinJunky.blogspot.com

It’s a very inexpensive way to decorate for festive occasions and the supplies can be bought at the dollar store.

You will need balloons, cable ties and a balloon pump, or blow them up by mouth.

DSCN0899

For each cluster you need 12 balloons, no more and no less, otherwise it won’t be round.  For the larger clusters I used 9” balloons with a large cable tie and for the smaller clusters I used 5” balloons with small cable ties.
 
One of the secrets to getting a professional looking balloon ball is to inflate your balloons correctly.
Blow up your balloon larger than it will eventually be, so that it looks like a pear (don’t tie it off yet)

DSCN0905

Release some of the air from the balloon so that it starts to take a rounded shape, like this

DSCN0906

Now you can tie the nozzle.  Inflate the other 11 balloons and try to get them all the same size, just eyeball it, it will be good enough.

It’s time to start putting the cluster together. Using your cable tie, push it through the nozzle of each balloon, piercing the latex.

DSCN0902

keep going until you have all 12 balloons on the cable tie. Next you will close up the cable tie, as tight as it will go, this will form a rounded cluster.

DSCN0908

















Make as many as you like and hang them up with clear string.

If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them.

I apologize for the crappy photos, I only had one hand free.

Linking to Creative Jewish mom's party
BWS tips button

20 comments:

  1. those are awesome!!! i am going to have to remember that for a future event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic idea! I am so going to try this for my daughter's birthday in July and make my hubby do it for my birthday in August!

    Yes I should be sewing, but my daughter had a little gal spend the night and frankly I'm exhausted and thought I would just sit here with my cup o joe and read my favorite people's blogs : ) !

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and festive! Thanks for that tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is cool! I love the peacock plates too, how do you come up with so many original ideas? I have to look around forever before I get motivated to do anything (which is why I have not posted in 2 weeks). You are sweet to check up on me, I am working on something and will be posting soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Reminds me of candy it's so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this is great, never would have thought of using a cable tie! Thanks so very much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, I think you may have earned yourself a place in the features for next week, do stop by again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a great idea!! Wow, thank you for sharing, it is going in my idea box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There, all caught up! I'm in love with your lamp shades, the peacocks are just beautiful (do I want a new circular saw or a Cricut for Mother's Day?), And thank you for the balloon tutorial- Thom's big day is in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, much more exciting than a single balloon, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I popped over from The CSI Project (love your pillow) but had to go back and read some other posts. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it!! You have some serious ballooning skills :) Thanks for sharing Mel, I will be using this next month!! ....hmmmm can you cricut on a balloon....lmao :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I love this, now if IO only had an occasion............Wait maybe my anniverary....who says ballons are only for kids eh?

    Thanks for the tute...LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea! It looks awesome! Keeping this in mind for my daughter's next birthday! :)

    ~Rockabye Butterfly~
    http://rockabyebutterfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm visiting from Positively Splendid and your ceramic hippo post when this project caught my eye. First of all, I love it!! Second of all, it's cheap, and lastly, makes a big statement for only a little effort. And the timing couldn't be better as we have a birthday party this next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really great tutorial do you mind if I share on our party website www.eventsandpartys.co.uk we sell balloons and find this idea really great as the customers don't need helium, just tie string or thin line and suspend from the ceiling.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I utilized this idea for my mom's 80th birthday party held June 29th. The balloon clusters really enhanced the overall birthday themed decor. I'll definitely be using this idea for future gatherings and celebrations. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just tried it with 12 inch balloons and it worked out so well! The cluster looked giant and beautiful. I bit a tiny whole with my teeth in the nozzle to string the balloons. Next up, 16 inchers? :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Best tutorial i could find! Thank you so much for your helpful tip.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.